Some days you just don’t want to sit down to a large plate of anything – out with Miss Z on a sunny afternoon we opted for a little bit of everything: fresh guacamole with house nachos, sweet potato fries with coriander and chipotle mayo, a double fudge brownie with vanilla ice cream and, of course, a refreshing cocktail – a tall glass of Mezcal with lime and muddled strawberries. Yum.
VERY BERRY TART
A Word a Week Challenge – Pink
need I say more?
From beautiful blush to royal rose, find your favourite shade in the entries of
A Word in your Ear’s Word A Week Photo Challenge – Pink.
Story Challenge: Tagged “T”
Talk not to me of Tipsy Cake
Tantric Tiramisu on a Table
Tart Twisted Tagliatelle
Tasty Toddies when you’re able
Taunt me not with Tacky Tapas
Tough guy Tamales by the score
Tawdry Teas Temerity
Tired Toast is such a bore
Tempt me not with Torte or Trifle
Tinned Tamarinds no Treat
My True Love is a Truffle
Tender Tiny sweet
Treat yourself to the entries in Frizztext’s Story Challenge: Letter “T”.
This was Thursday: Be my Valentine
for all our sweethearts out there
Read more about Valentine’s Day:
The day itself
The Movie (trailer)
This was Thursday will return in the usual format next week…
Surrounded by Sweet
Candy is Dandy but…
Having unfortunately inherited much of our genetic predispositions from a lineage whose DNA is still awaiting another Ice Age, we watch what we eat. Gum makes our jaws ache, hard sweets and jujubes just put money in our dentist’s Fiji fund, lollipops and candy canes give us a white sugar rush – not to say that we didn’t spend our allowance like every other kid at the penny candy counter but things have changed. Miss Z has made us more than conscious of what we stick in our mouths and so when we want to indulge it is good chocolate and every once in a very long while, a cupcake.
This week the Easter bunnies are edging the red satin hearts off the shelves in an attempt to get their share of the market but we are able to resist temptation as Furrylittlegnome has nominated Across the Bored for the Super Sweet Blogging Award! Who can resist that morsel of delight? An extra slice of something delicious goes out for her Sweet 100th Post – have a look at her blog for a little taste of travel, food and photography with a dash of humour in the mix.
As with most blogging awards, there are a few requirements for accepting:
1. Give credit to the person who has nominated you
2. Answer the 5 “Super Sweet” questions
3. Nominate a “Bakers Dozen” – 13 blogs
4. Grab the badge and indulge!
Across the Bored’s “Super Sweet” answers are…
1. Cookies or cake? It has to be one heck of a cookie and cake is for special occasions
2. Chocolate or Vanilla? Chocolate, definitely – the darker the better
3. What is your favorite sweet treat – cheesecake or frozen yogurt? With an eastern-european mother-in-law we have eaten enough kinds of cheesecake to last 4 lifetimes – TCBY frozen yogurt with all the trimmings wins.
4. When do you crave sweet things the most? In the middle of particularly complex projects – it’s brain food
5. If you had a sweet nickname, what would it be? Our Lady of Perpetual Truffles
Our Nominees for Baker’s Dozen (in no particular order) ready for your sampling:
Belle Grove Plantation Bed and Breakfast
A New Day
The Serenity Space
Now it’s off to find a tasty treat for tomorrow…
A Word a Week Photography Challenge – Smile
the interval between chocolate and a smile is never that long
Let the positive lift your spirits with the entries at A Word in your Ear’s
Word A Week Photo Challenge – Smile.
So much for Sunday
Travel Theme: Multiples
bet you can’t eat just one
See the several and sundry at Where’s my backpack?’s challenge Travel Theme: Multiples.
Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge: Orange
Across the Bored realized we had not been quite politically correct after purchasing the gigantic box of “full of peanuts” treats for Halloween. Here’s hoping that all this candy will have disappeared by the time this post for Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge: Orange goes out. Anyone for a Reese’s piece?
Two Cents Tuesday Challenge: Temptation
Hurricane Sandy has howled inland, blowing away the last of autumn and leaving no doubt that the first flakes of snow will soon follow. We can smell the change in the air, see by the height of the sun and know by the cravings for winter foods that November is but days away. The season that encompasses Halloween, the December Holidays and New Year’s can be one where we get carried away, so this week’s Two Cents Tuesday Challenge topic – Temptation – is timely.
The first entry that appears when the word is googled is:
Noun: A desire to do something, esp. something wrong or unwise: “he resisted the temptation to call Celia”; “we gave in to temptation”
(or “the temptation to chew on the USB key was too much for the dog…)
A thing or course of action that attracts or tempts someone: “the temptations of life in New York”
(or “the temptation to redecorate the house while Jack was away left Jill with no choice…)
One imagines that the writers of dictionaries were a cranky lot who didn’t really have much fun in life. Whether we are enticed, influenced, allured or seduced by a person or an idea; when we have an inclination or an impulse to do or achieve some thing; when the thing itself is so appealing that we are left breathless with desire, is this really so terrible? It sometimes has beautiful results. Or not…
So, “How does temptation appear to you?”
We would love to see your vision.
For all those who are new readers to Across the Bored, here are some guidelines for the challenge:
HOW DOES THIS WORK?
- I will post some commentary on a random topic that pops into my head (such as the above) and then ask you to respond on the same.
- Your point of view on the current week’s challenge can take any form: a quote, a motto or saying, an essay, poem or post by you or attributed to someone else, a work of art, photograph, graffiti, drawing or scribble.
- The Challenge will be open for 6 days after it is posted upon which I will post another challenge.
- ENJOY, have FUN and TELL your friends and fellow bloggers.
SO – Create your Two Cents Tuesday Challenge post
- Then add a link to your blog in my comment box.
- To make it easy for others to check out your post, title your blog post “Two Cents Tuesday Challenge” and add the same as a tag.
- If you would like your reader to see what others are presenting for the same challenge, add a link to the “Two Cents Tuesday” challenge on Across the Bored’s blog.
- Remember to Follow My Blog to get your weekly (hopefully) reminders.
Across the Bored received a nice surprise this morning with the notification that we have over 50 followers! Now while that may not be much in terms of numbers in the blogosphere, it is significant in that it means that we are developing a nice community of like-minded souls.
So a big thank you to all the followers and readers for making this whole adventure worthwhile – help us celebrate, go out and nibble on something special!
Just a coupla Cupcakes
In a town where no one knows us, it is easy to be anyone – if we want to. Vacations let us shed the trappings of home and try all that is new or perhaps resume indulgent habits sorrily cast aside. We are afforded the time to think without interruption. Another year has passed and we are still here, stronger for our travails and hopefully, smarter for our efforts. More than enough reason to celebrate – One pink lemonade and one chocolate cappuccino cupcake, please!